- Know Yourself
- The World of Work
- Tools and Skills
- Career Fairs, Seminars, & Events
- Graduate/Professional School
- Recruiting Strategies
- Career Fairs
- Post Jobs/Internships
- Seminars & Events
- On-Campus Recruiting
- About OSU Colleges & Students
- Travel to OSU
- OSU Orange Circle Sponsorship
- Employer FAQs
- Employer Newsletter
- Faculty & Staff
- Ecampus Students
- About Us
Thank You Letter
Interviews should be followed with a thank you letter within 48 hours. The purpose of the thank you letter is to:
- Show appreciation for the employer's interest in you.
- Reiterate your interest in the position and in the organization.
- Review or remind the employer about your qualifications for the position. If you thought of something you forgot to mention in the interview, mention it in your follow-up / thank-you letter.
- Demonstrate that you have good manners and know to write a thank-you letter.
- Follow up with any information the employer may have asked you to provide after the interview.
Thank-you letters can be hard copy typed, handwritten or e-mailed.
- Hard copy not-handwritten are most formal and are appropriate after an interview.
- Handwritten are more personal, and can be appropriate for brief notes to a variety of individuals you may have met during an on-site interview.
- E-mail is appropriate, particularly as a supplement (i.e. do both e-mail and hard copy) when that has been your means of contact with the person you want to thank, or if your contact has expressed a preference for e-mail, or you know your contact is travelling and will not have access to hard copy mail in a timely fashion.
Not sure what to include? Check out a thank you letter example.